Video Motion Detection is the ability for cameras to trigger a recording based on any motion detected in its field of view. Motion is identified when there is a change in video pixels from one point in time to another. Your Video Motion Detection (VMD) windows are fields of vision that need to be drawn inside your camera’s field of vision. If the pixels inside your VMD window change once the recording rule is set up, the camera will record.
The steps below will go over how to set up your VMD windows and best practices. The VMD windows and recording rules must be set up through the Myfrontpoint.com website, as these settings cannot be completed through the Frontpoint App.
Step 1: Setting up VMD Windows:
- From the home screen of the Myfrontpoint.com website, click the Video tab on the left menu.
- Click on the Settings option in the top right-hand corner of the next screen
- Choose the Video Motion Detection option from the settings list and the VMD Settings screen will load. You will see the live video appear in a box towards the bottom.
- Select the blue 1 button under Choose a VMD window. Click and drag inside the live view box to draw your window as a line or barrier someone will have to cross. You will need to choose an appropriate sensitivity and target size setting for the window and save the appropriate settings
- Create VMD windows #2 and #3 the same as you did for VMD window #1 and remember to save the sensitivity and target size settings for each individual window as you go
- Ensure that the VMD windows do not intersect or overlap as that will cause issues with recordings being triggered by the camera.
- Important Tips:
- Create windows to act as barriers that must be crossed by human movement
- Draw the windows as thin as possible for better effectiveness
- Avoid drawing the windows around areas that emit constant changes in light or environment (IE: windows, trees)
- Sensitivity: The amount of pixel change inside of the VMD box that must be detected before the camera will trigger a recording. This can range from movement, to changes in color.
- Target Size: The percentage of the VMD box that must detect change or movement before it will trigger.
Step 2: Setting up the Recording Rule
- From the home screen of the Myfrontpoint.com website, click the Video tab on the left menu
- Click on the Recording Rules option at the top of the screen
- Click on the Add Rule button and select the Video Motion Detection (VMD) option from the list
- From here, you can:
- Name the rule
- Select your camera
- Select your VMD window(s) [If you have more than 1 window set up]
- Select a time frame to record
- Select if you would like a delay between clips
- Select At Home Settings if applicable. At home settings will indicate whether the camera will record based off motion if the system is disarmed, armed stay, or if your applicable Geo-Device is inside your Geo-Fence.
- If you would like to be notified via SMS text, email, or push notification each time the camera records, click Add Recipient and choose all individuals from the address book whom you want to be notified of the motion triggered event. While the address book screen is up, those recipients selected should have a black check mark next to their name to indicate they have been selected.
- You have the option to add people not currently listed in the address book by clicking the + NEW button in gray and completing all the appropriate fields followed by clicking Add Contact
- One complete, click Close on the address book
- Save your rule. If your VMD recording rule is saved properly, you will see it show up under Recording Rules