Storage is measured by clips- which are short bursts of recordings that can range from 10 to 60 seconds. Clips can be captured manually or when motion is detected. Each camera has a monthly upload limit as well as an online storage limit. Full details are outlined below:
Two types of clips are captured and saved by your Frontpoint cameras:
1) Camera-triggered clips
- Camera-triggered clips are triggered either by Video Analytics rules (Indoor Camera, Outdoor Camera, Premium Indoor Camera) or Video Motion Detection (Doorbell Camera)
- A clip created by a Video Analytics rule will have a length of 30 seconds, while a Video Motion Detection clip can vary in length from 10-60 seconds depending on the clip length setting.
2) Manually-triggered clips
- Event-triggered clips are triggered automatically by alarm activity, system arming/disarming, Smart Lock activity, or manually triggered clips.
- The clip length for an event-triggered clip is fixed at either 50-60 or 20-30 seconds depending on the video device.
The video clip limit is broken up into two parts:
1) Online Storage Limit
- The online storage limit is the total number of clips that can be stored in the cloud at any time.
- If this limit is reached, the oldest unprotected clips will be automatically deleted as new clips get uploaded.
- Video clips can be downloaded directly from the Frontpoint app or MyFrontpoint.com to ensure they are saved before being deleted. Once a video clip is deleted from the cloud, there is no way for us to recover the information.
- If only a Frontpoint Doorbell Camera is purchased, there is a storage limit of 1200 clips.
- If an Indoor, Outdoor, or Premium Indoor Camera is purchased, there is a storage limit of 3000 clips.
2) Monthly Upload Limit
- The monthly upload limit is the total number of clips that can be uploaded within a month.
- When the monthly upload limit is reached, any Video Analytics recording rules will be paused. The clip limit is reset on the first of the following month.
- Video Analytics recording rules must be manually un-paused when the clip limit is reset on the first of the month.
- If only a Frontpoint Doorbell Camera is purchased, there is a monthly clip upload limit of 1200 clips.
- If an Indoor, Outdoor, or Premium Indoor Camera is purchased, there is a monthly clip upload limit of 3000 clips.
When the monthly upload limit is reached, you will get an alert that your "video uploads quota has been exceeded," and any new clips will overwrite the oldest clips. This upload limit resets on the first day of each calendar month.
If the "video uploads quota exceeded" message is reoccurring, we recommend adjusting your video recording rules to limit the number of clips per month or to chat with a Product Specialist. Just look for the blue chat bubble in the right-hand corner and ask for help with your clip upload limit.
Clip recordings triggered by an alarm will always upload, regardless of clip limitations. Even if the maximum monthly upload limit has been reached, any recordings triggered via an alarm will take precedence over other clips and upload.
How to Check Uploaded Clip Count:
- Log in to your account on MyFrontpoint.com
- Click Video in the left-hand navigation menu
- Click Recording Rules
- Review your monthly clip uploads (A), average daily clip uploads (B), and projected monthly clip uploads (C) under Total Cloud Storage
How to Protect Saved Video Clips with the Frontpoint App:
Your favorite or most critical clips can be protected to ensure they are never automatically overwritten due to the cloud storage reaching its clip limit. To save clips, follow the steps below:
1) Log in to your account on the Frontpoint app.
2) Open the navigation menu () and tap Video.
3) Tap Saved.
4) Tap to select the video clip you'd like to protect.
5) Tap to protect the video clip.
6) Protected clips will have a small lock icon and will not be overwritten by a new clip, even if the clip upload limit is reached.
If you cannot see "Video" as an option in the Frontpoint app's left-hand menu, please make sure you have a camera setup on your account. To learn how to order a camera for your system, click here.
If you are struggling with too many or not enough clips, Product Specialists are available to chat. Just look for the blue chat bubble in the right-hand corner and ask for help with your preferred voice assistant.
Article is closed for comments.